The Sunday Stroll
The Week that Was…
The folks at Sound Lacrosse were extremely busy this weekend capturing the action on Bainbridge Island as well as tweeting out all sorts of pictures from the weekend jamborees. Check out Sound Lacrosse on Twitter!
In addition, the beginning of the 2013 season saw the launch of WHSBLA games streamed live through You Tube via The Lacrosse Network. The opening non-league game between Seattle Prep and Sammamish-Newport is now available to watch through The Lacrosse Network.
Division I Notes:
· Bellevue put a huge early season stamp on their stake to once again be the top team in Washington with a resounding 14-6 victory over Bainbridge. The Wolverines got six goals from senior Cole Johnson in pushing to a 14-3 lead before the Spartans scored the final three. Many had Bainbridge listed as a contender and one that could challenge Bellevue, so the margin of victory took many by surprise. Bellevue obviously hit the field running on all cylinders and Bainbridge may need some more time to shake out the winter cobwebs. Chances are it would be a closer score should these two see each other again down the road, but a great opening victory for the Wolverines nonetheless.
· King’s Way and Curtis traded solid blows for three quarters until King’s Way pulled away in the fourth quarter. The Knights were led by, you guessed it… Jack Beall and Clayton Frank scored five each in the 16-10 victory despite trailing by one at the half.
· Woodinville opened the year with a non-league win over Tahoma. The Falcons got a hat-trick from Tanner Shepherd and nine ground balls from senior defenseman, Trevor Brown to spark the victory.
· Issaquah cruised to a season opening win over district rival, Liberty to the tune of 15-1. Mikey Giannopulus scored twice while winning 12 groundballs while Matt Thomas found the net four times.
Division II Notes:
· Two pieces of news from the Seattle Prep camp that seem highly encouraging for the Panthers. First, basketball standout and University of Nevada commit, DJ Fenner has come out for lacrosse this spring. Anytime a team can add that sort of athlete to the roster it has to make opponents take notice. Fenner remained on the sideline having not yet earned enough practice as his teammates opened the season with a solid 6-3 victory over Sammamish-Newport. A solid win over a Division I team with a lineup that appears could soon be even better shows Prep as a legitimate contender for the Division II title this year. Sophomore Sam Kopf led the Panthers with a solid all-around performance: 2 goals, 1 assist and 7 groundballs.
· Kennedy Catholic used a trio of hat tricks from Anthony Parker, Sebastian Ferraro and Ashton Pieris to defeat Peninsula-Gig Harbor 9-8 in another non-league season opener. Pieris also recorded 12 groundballs for the Lancers. Cody Olson led the Fire with 3g, 2a in the loss.
Lacrosse The Country…
· A showdown in the Sunshine State saw WHSBLA alumns square off when Clark faced Wittenberg this weekend in Florida. Peter Christiansen (Seattle Prep) scored the highlight goal of the game though Clark fell by a 10-5 count. Martin Park (Stadium) now plays on defense for Wittenberg.
· Landon Carr (Curtis) and the Maryland Terrapins remain unbeaten and ranked #1 in the country. According to Lax Magazine a part of their success has been their ability to run in transition under the new NCAA rules, a factor Carr is a large part of.
Edits and Corrections…
· Apologies to Bothell-Inglemoor attackman, Drew Tosaya as we twice incorrectly listed “Tosoya” in our Division I Preview.
· The cell signals apparently got crossed as we made all sorts of mistakes in regards to Blanchet. We listed Blanchet’s Henry Morris as a Preseason All-State pick last week and have been informed that Morris no longer plays lacrosse, having instead taken to track. Zane Zielke has graduated and Matteo Schiro is actually a junior. Thanks to our readers and fans for keeping us informed and on our toes!
Lacrosse Four Thought…
Which teams made the most noise in this weekend’s Jamborees?
Who will pull the first big upset of the season?
What do you think of the initial Under Armour Regional Rankings on InsideLacrosse.com? ?
Will any WHSBLA team finish inside Lax Magazine’s West Region Top 10?
Best Upcoming Match-Ups…
· 3/13 – Snohomish @ Sammamish-Newport: The Panthers seek their first program win at the Division I level. Should be a great early season match-up between two evenly matched teams.
· 3/15 – Mercer Island @ Auburn Riverside: Each team will have a game under its belt by the time they faceoff. The Lucchesi brothers are no longer underclassmen and are looking to improve on the 12 point loss to the Islanders a year ago.
· 3/15 – Skyline @ Bainbridge: Spartans vs Spartans… seems like there could be a little bloodshed?
· 3/12 – Roosevelt @ Ballard: Nothing like a great crosstown rivalry to get the season started!
· 3/13 – Seattle Prep @ Overlake: Great opening test for Overlake to see if the Owls are for real.
· 3/14 – University @ Mead-Mt. Spokane: The first official WHSBLA league game in Spokane!
· 3/15 – Nathan Hale @ Kennedy Catholic: Raiders vs Lancers… Medieval Times theme in an excellent Metro matchup!
· “I think Jared Hawkins from Everett should have absolutely been on the pre season all state team. His numbers from last year make him more than deserving. Jamieson Berreta is also one to watch on the defensive end.” – Kipp Strong
· “When looking from a statistical standpoint it is hard to leave Cody Olson (Peninsula-Gig Harbor) off of the list when he is the top returning attackman statistically, outside of Barrett Jenness(Overlake).” – Kevin Olson
· There is only one player on this year's list who had a higher points per game average than Jared Hawkins, and interesting enough, a few of the players who were included on the list ahead of Jared, were not even ranked statistically in the top 25 last year. As Hall of Fame coach Mike Ditka would say, "Come on Man"! – Johnathan Beretta
We’ll give a shout out to the best emails of the week and include your comments/quotes in next week’s Sunday Stroll. We are still compiling a list of WHSBLA commits as well as WHSBLA alumns currently playing college ball this season so please send us your knowledge!
Feed us your thoughts… Time to hear from you… Bring it! EMAIL: TheSundayStroll@gmail.com