The Sunday Stroll
The Week that Was…
Division I Notes:
· Blake Lee’s overtime winner capped a 5 goal night for the midfielder as Eastside Catholic knocked off Bainbridge 9-8! Colin Schriever recorded an astonishing 26 saves in the win. This was a big win for the Crusaders having dropped an overtime game to King’s Way earlier this year.
· Later in the week, Bainbridge rebounded to take a 9-8 win of their own over King’s Way. The Spartans trailed by two in the 4th quarter before mounting the comeback. So now, King’s Way has beaten Eastside Catholic by one, Eastside Catholic has beaten Bainbridge by one and Bainbridge has beaten King’s Way by one! Should be very interesting come playoff time if any of these teams meet up again.
· The night after the Bainbridge traveled to King’s Way the two teams each had challenging games. Bainbridge stayed south and knocked off top Oregon contender, Lakeridge in convincing fashion 12-4, while King’s Way had to turn around and travel up to Bellevue. The trip north was not kind as the Knights fell hard 17-3.
· Another pair of interesting results:
o Eastside Catholic 11, Kamiak 10 – Crusaders played without 6 regulars though including MacIlvennie and Breed
o Eastlae 17, Skyline 6 – After Spartans had hung tough with Mercer and Issaquah did anyone see this coming?
Division II Notes:
· Conferences Rundown:
o Central-South – Nothing new here. Richland dispatched of Union 15-0 this week.
o Eastern – University got close, but Wenatchee is still top dog. The fight will be for #2 with University and GPrep.
o KingCo – No movement here. Mt. Si hung tough with Kennedy in a non-league contest this week.
o Metro – Vashon needs to make noise quick otherwise they are out. The top 5 is all over the place. Nathan Hale, Overlake, Kennedy Catholic, Seattle Prep and Blanchet all seem contenders at times.
o Olympic – Seemingly, the only big game remaining in the conference is the Stadium vs Peninsula-Gig Harbor rematch.
o Cascade – Shorecrest’s win over Monroe this week clinched a playoff spot for them. Appears they are destined to be #3 while Stanwood and Everett will push to the finish for the top spot.
o Skagit – Big win for Sehome-Bellingham over Everett. The win all but locked up the Skagit Conference for them and kept the Warriors as one of five unbeaten in Division II play. Further it demonstrated they are true contenders for the DII title this year!
Lacrosse The Country…
MCLA folks we missed: Jory Simpson Tahoma Montana
Justin Ross Tahoma Western Washington
Best Upcoming Match-Ups…
· 4/23 – Eastside Catholic @ Auburn Riverside: Crusaders ended AR’s season a year ago in the Quarterfinals!
· 4/24 – Sammamish-Newport @ Lake Washington: This one could decide the #3 seed coming out of the KingCo-West.
· 4/25 – Lakeside @ Kamiak: Likewise, this one will go a long way to determining #3 in the Metro most likely.
· 4/26 - Auburn Riverside @ King’s Way: Big week for AR! King’s Way is current top dog in South Sound.
· 4/26 – Issaquah @ Eastlake: All of the sudden this one has become the marquee match-up for the KingCo-East.
· 4/27 – Bainbridge @ Mercer Island: Island War is a non-league game this year, but the biggest rivalry in the state won’t be treated as such. This is still a must see!
· 4/23 – Overlake @ Blanchet: You never know in the Metro!
· 4/23 – Roosevelt @ Mt. Si: Roughriders need this one to keep any real playoff hopes alive.
· 4/25 – Kennedy Catholic @ Overlake: These are the hottest two in the Metro right now. If Owls get by Blanchet, this one is HUGE!
· 4/25 – Blanchet @ Nathan Hale: Braves gave Raiders their only blemish this year.
· 4/27 – Nathan Hale @ Overlake: Are you sensing this is a big week in the Metro?
· 4/27 – Kennedy Catholic @ Garfield: A non-league contest but a possible gauge of how good each of these teams really is?
· “Bellingham v Everett was one of the most intense games I have watched as a parent (Andrew Hoeman Goalie for Bellingham). Both teams never gave up and played to the end. Triple overtime! What was also great about the game was how both teams honored the game and didn’t get caught up in the unnecessary roughness you see at some games. I believe Bellingham had 4 penalties and Everett just 1.”
Anything we missed? Got some good comments or questions for us? EMAIL: TheSundayStroll@gmail.com